Registering your marriage/birth of a child

If you recently got married in Australia or a baby was born, you should register the event in the Estonian Vital Statistics Register. It is free of charge and can be done via the Embassy of Estonia in Canberra.

First, you should apostill the original Australian marriage certificate/birth certificate.

How to apostill documents

Once the certificate is apostilled, send the original to the Embassy with passport copies of both spouses/both parents. On passport copies write „True copy“ + date + signature. Add an empty self-addressed express post envelope for returning the original certificate.

If you would like to change your name after marriage, then along with marriage certificate and passport copies send to the Embassy application for change of name. Once the consular officer has made a note in the Population Registry about the name change, you can apply for new documents with new name online or via post.

Embassy of Estonia is located at:

12 Darwin Avenue

Yarralumla ACT 2600

By registering your child in the Estonian Vital Statistics Register he/she automatically receives Estonian personal identification code.